5 Things I Want For My Son10:11
I think that one of the most amazing things about having a baby is that they are born a blank slate. It is one of our jobs as parents to teach our children about life, and to me that seems like a massive responsibility. There are so many things that I want for Zach, and I hope that Jono and I will bring him up to be a well rounded individual. I thought that I'd share the things that I want for Zach and the things I wish to teach him as he grows up, although I know that ultimately he will learn through his own experiences.
1. Love. Being in love is the most magical thing in the world, and what is even more amazing is that there are so many kinds of love. That which you have for your parents and your family, a bond which feels unbreakable. The love you have for your friends, who cheer you up on even the most gloomy of days. The love you have for your partner, which is exciting and deep. And the love you have for your children, possibly the most powerful love in the world. I hope Zach lives a long life surrounded by love, as for me that is the most important thing in life.
2. Respect. I think of people as all being born equally, but yet society doesn't treat everyone that way. I hope that Zach will grow up to treat everybody with respect, regardless of their age, gender, sexuality or race, or any other labels that we give each other. You cannot change these things about yourself, but you can choose how you treat others.
3. Honesty. "No legacy is so rich as honesty" - William Shakespeare.
4. Knowledge. In our world, knowledge is power, but to me it is much more than that. It gives you the ability to truly question things and to make your own decisions in life. Be that in terms of religion, or politics, or even what books to read. Knowledge opens so many doors in life, and I hope that Zach has a passion and thirst to learn as much as he can.
5. Adventure. The world is our oyster, we just have to get out there and explore it. There is so much to see, so many cultures to experience and so many people to meet. I hope that Zach gets a taste for adventure, and is able to see as much of the world as he can. It is something I hope we can do as a family too, and I can't wait to start creating memories all over the globe.
What are the things that you want most for your children?
SIDE NOTE: I wrote this post thinking about the boy/man I want Zach to grow up to be - kind, happy and well rounded. I didn't think about health, because quite honestly I took that for granted. We are so lucky to live in a country where we have free healthcare available to all. And probably more importantly, we have access to clean running water, directly from the taps in our homes. I watched a documentary on Netflix (called Bottled Life - go watch it) that made me realise just how lucky we are to have this.